Founded in 1910, Manheim Brethren in Christ Church will mark its centennial this year, according to a report at Lancaster Online:
The former Rapho District of the Brethren in Christ Church founded Manheim BIC in a little white church at 25 N. Grant St. in 1910 so retired farm couples who moved to town could walk to church.
Today half of the roughly 600 people who attend the church, at 54 N. Penryn Road, where it moved in 1979, are under 18. Less than 10 percent of them were born and raised in the denomination.
Therein lies the tale of the transformation of the church, once defined by a strict dress code and rigid rules and regulations that now worships in an auditorium in a casual, contemporary style.
The “transformation of the church” underscores a number of themes in Brethren in Christ history: the move from a “visible” to an “invisible” church culture; the transition from rural to suburban living; and the adoption and implementation of “church growth” practices associated with American Evangelicalism.
Hopefully, the centennial celebration (which involves two commemorative services, tours of the former church structure on Grant Street, and a hymn sing) will note these themes and the role they have played in shaping today’s Manheim congregation.
Read the entire article here.